Polynesian restaurant and bar chain Trader Vic’s is a massive hit around the world, and if you’re missing its creations, here’s a recipe you can whip up at home.
Created by Vic “The Trader” Bergeron in the 1930s, there are now multiple locations around the world, including London, Seychelles, San Francisco and Munich, as well as several outlets in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Al Ain and Ras Al Khaimah. A fourth Dubai outlet is due to open on Dubai’s Palm Juemirah in the future.
Makes five portions
4 egg yoks
50g vanilla ice cream
1. Start by making the caramel. In a pan melt the sugar until caramelised, add the first 30 grams of butter and the cream and thoroughly mix.
2. Remove from the heat and mix with the second amount of butter until mixed. Allow to cool.
3. In a stand mixer high speed, use whisk to churn the eggs, egg yolks and sugar until it becomes fluffy.
4. Slow down the speed and add the caramel mix, which should now be room temperature.
5. Sieve the flour and add to the mix until it’s fully blended.
6. Prepare the moulds by coating with butter and icing sugar, pour the mix (165 gr) and bake for 14 minutes at 180˚C.
7. In a white round plate, arrange your garnishes and mixed berries in a half moon shape, insert in the middle a vanilla ice cream quenelle.
8. In the middle set the lava cake and dust with icing sugar.