It’s not just about the posh cheddar and pickle sandwiches at Pret A Manager. The British high street staple also makes a mean cookie.
If you’ve had enough of baking banana bread and are looking for a new sweet treat to tackle, the beloved café chain, which boasts four branches across Dubai, has released the recipe for its dark chocolate chunk cookies.
This recipe makes eight astonishingly chocolatey cookies. That’s your next baking session sorted.
• 110g unsalted butter
• 170g caster sugar
• 85g light brown sugar
• 1 egg
• 190g self-raising flour
• 3g salt
• 120g large dark chocolate chip buttons
• Preheat the oven to 180°C.
• Melt the butter in a saucepan or microwave until just melted (but not hot).
• Using a stand mixer or electric beaters, beat the butter with the caster and brown sugars until well combined.
• Add the egg and beat on a low speed until just incorporated – about 10-15 seconds or so. Don’t overbeat as this will result in a firm dough.
• Add the flour and salt. Mix until a smooth dough forms – again, be careful not to overmix.
• Add the dark chocolate buttons to the dough and gently combine with your hands. For a good distribution of chocolate, don’t be afraid to break up some of the buttons into pieces or chop them slightly beforehand.
• Scoop out eight balls of dough and place on a non-stick or lined baking tray. Make sure there is plenty of space between them as the dough will spread out in the oven.
• Press them down lightly with your palm to flatten them out a little and bake for 10 to 2 minutes until the cookies look puffed up and golden.
• Let the cookies cool on the baking tray for about 30 minutes as they will settle and sink into a dense buttery cookie.
• Best enjoyed warm (or place in an airtight container and eat within three days).
Can’t get enough of baking at home in the UAE? Head here for more sweet recipes.