If you’re looking for a comforting dish to make at home this weekend, Waitrose has shared the recipe for an Italian-style beef and mushroom casserole.
• 400g pack lean diced British beef braising steak
• ½ tbsp plain flour
• 1 tbsp Cooks’ Ingredients Porcini Mushroom Paste (available at Waitrose)
• 350ml Cooks’ Ingredients Beef Stock (available at Waitrose)
• ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar of Modena
• ½ x 150g pack mixed exotic mushrooms, large ones halved
• ¼ x 15g pack Cooks’ Ingredients Thyme
• 200g pack cavolo nero (a variety of kale)
• 450g pack mashed potato
• Preheat the oven to 190ºC.
• Fry the steak until browned on all sides.
• Stir in the flour and porcini paste, cook for 30 seconds, then gradually blend in the stock and vinegar. • Bring to the boil, then transfer to a small ovenproof casserole dish. Cover and bake in the oven for two hours.
• Stir in the mushrooms and add half the thyme sprigs, re-cover and cook for a further 15 minutes.
• Cook the cavolo nero and mashed potato according to pack instructions, then drain.
• Remove the sprigs of thyme, and scatter the leaves from the remaining thyme over the casserole and serve with the cavolo nero and mash.
Looking for more comforting dishes to whip up at home? We have loads of delicious recipes to test out here.